Ground-up Flat Fender Build

So... we are working on a flatty. Well we have wagoneer axles and a Chevy drivetrain, but there will be some flatty. In all reality I'm just building a 4x4 that will look like a jeep. Not much jeep, but still a fun build. Hopefully I can retain the nostalgia of the icon while still having a modern and reliable 4x4. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

This project took me forever. It is by far the hardest part to date that I've built. The worst part is that I don't even know yet if I'm going to keep it. I would like to get a custom fit radiator between the headlights. We'll see. The free s10 radiator is appealing though. 
It's a tight fit in there and making the the electric fan work was quite a chore.

The bulk of the work went into this shroud and fan setup. It has to be offset to clear the water pump pulley.

This picture may not show that well, but there is probably a half inch of clearance. A narrower radiator would fit between the headlights and allow for a bit more room, but a narrower radiator would have to be thicker and may end up in the same spot with no room to offset the fan. I'm going to move on for now, but will have to come back to this at some point and make an expensive decision on whether to buy a custom radiator.


No comments: